Mark Te Punga was born in Lower Hutt and was educated at Hutt Valley High School. He continued his education at Victoria University and graduated with a B.A. (First class Hons) in Geography in 1986. He went to Japan and then went to the University of London University where he completed an M.A. in Area Studies. He writes non-fiction work.
- Phone conversation and faxed communication with Mark Te Punga: 25 July and August 1998.
- "Rank And Relationship In A Junior High School Athletics Club. Japanese Schools: Reflections and Insights. Ed. M. Wada and A. Cominos. Kyoto, Japan: Shugakusha, 1995. 100-107.
- Te Punga states that this article ‘outlines the importance placed on club activities by schools and the importance of rank in shaping the way student relationships are developed.’
- The New Zealand Timber Export Trade, To 1876: A Preliminary Survey. [Wellington, N.Z.]: New Zealand Forest Service, . [working paper; 86/1]
- Co-authored by M. Te Punga and M. M. Roche.